Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Written in the stars...

So this past year or so, looking back--I realize that many of the stars I wished on as a kid came true. The falling ones, the shooting ones, the twinkling ones and the clusters, constellations and galaxies in all their winking glory. Also known as 'home' to those of us who sometimes feel as if these meat suits (bodies) and earth (spinning greenblue marble) is one of those "just visiting, thanks" travel destinations.

As a youngster I wished on all of the Jiminy Cricket stars and here's the checklist so far:

Grow up. check. (well---ok...sorta)
Write stories. check.
Have adventures. check.
Live abroad. check.
Fall in love. check.
Be happy. check (most of the time)

So as adults, how do we redefine our dreams once they've more or less come true? Sure, we get newer, bigger, shinier dreams, or, in some sadder cases we just stop dreaming and wishing on stars altogether. That...I can say with relative confidence will never be me. I will be 97, creaky-boned with white hair and my skin hanging to my knees and still see the wonders in the celestial offerings above.

OK, if truth be told...not all of my earlier dreams have come true, yet, but to be honest? That's a little bit of a relief because I have a long road ahead and I'd hate to feel (as I did four years ago when I tried to go 'home' in my parents' garage with the engine running...www.lipstickandthongbook.com) that I was 'done'.

Because I?...am FAR from DONE.

My dreams and wishes and visions and passions are enough to put any nightsky to shame. My ideas and worries and joys and laughs and tears and boundless curiosity is/are infinite.

I'm cooking up something that will pull the starlight from the indigo heights and make the radiant twinkle in a toddler's eye seem dim. It is being practically dictated to me from beyond time and space. And, just as a trusting child points up and oohs and aahs at fireworks (or even just at a regular night of majestic beauty of astronomical proportions)...it will knock the socks off of all who encounter it.

It is not another book. It is not a magic pill. It is not a t-shirt, or a bumper sticker. It is vaster and older and brighter than the sky itself.

And just...apparently...as mysterious.

Keep rocking. The question marks are beginning to answer themselves and that's all I can say right now.

This holiday weekend, when you look up at the 'fireflowers' (Japanese translation for fireworks) think of the mystery. As you watch what appears to be colorful starbursts whistle in great explosions, as the band plays on...think about something that stretches your mind and explodes your heart joyfully. Think of where you came from. Wonder where you're going. And regain the enthusiasm of a kid who is seeing it all unfold...one miracle at a time.

Stay tuned. Stay looned. Rock ON! Make a wish and make it BIG.

~Courtney


P.S. And no, very sorry to report---it is not calorie-less chocolate either...some things really are too good to be true.

P.P.S. As I was writing this another starchild was born***! Welcome to my new niece, Marissa Nicole Mudry, 7 lbs., 6 oz. Kid, you ain't seen nothin' yet! And Auntie CoCo already loves you to the stars and beyond.

More about me:
www.courtneyawalsh.com
www.lipstickandthongbook.com
www.youtube.com/courtneyawalsh

Let's hear more about you: courtneyawalsh@gmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home